During these unprecedented, high anxiety driven times caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, we are staying at home more to protect ourselves, while gyms and yoga studios are closed or on very strict schedules. Let's understand why working out and specifically doing yoga at home should be a top priority!
10 reasons why Yoga is the perfect at home workout:
- Improves muscle tone, flexibility, strength and stamina
- Reduces stress and tension
- Assists in managing numerous ailments: anxiety, arthritis, asthma, back pain, blood pressure, headaches, fatigue and more
- Boosts self esteem
- Improves concentration and creativity
- Lowers body fat
- Improves circulation
- Stimulates the immune system
- Creates a sense of well being and calm
- Limited equipment and space required
If the above isn't enough to get you started in practising the art of yoga - then here are some easy to follow guides and yoga workouts for you to follow.
What YOU need
Some things to consider when purchasing your yoga mat -
- Eco-friendly: There are plenty of mats made from plant-based and renewable materials, like cork; many are also PVC and latex-free.
- Length: Make sure the mat is long enough. You want to make sure your hands and feet are both on the mat in poses like Downward Dog.
- Thickness: The standard and most friendly thickness for most is 4mm, be careful of using thicker mats as they tend to disrupt balance.
- Texture: Yoga mats are sometimes referred to as "sticky mats," due to their textured grip, which prevents your hands and feet from slipping during poses. Some mats — particularly eco mats — have a nubby, "natural" texture; others are more like the rubber sole of a shoe.
What is a yoga block used for?
Made from foam, bamboo, wood or cork, the block is often used as an extension of the arms, but can also support the back, head and hips to help the body settle into a pose. Furthermore, yoga blocks:
- Support range of motion, thereby shortening the distance between you and the floor (“bringing the floor closer to you”)
- Assist in establishing correct alignment
- Help make yoga accessible to beginners and to those experiencing injury or other physical limitations
- Bring awareness to properly engage and support muscles in a specific pose
- Can be placed at the low, medium and high positions to accommodate more or less support
Shop Kooshty Kork Yoga Block - on SALE for only R169!
Staying hydrated is a must throughout your yoga workouts - ensure you have water close by at all times.
We have provided some YouTube playlists and workouts for a quick and easy start or continuation of your Yoga journey...
Yoga Playlist - 60 free online videos: https://bit.ly/2ARAY2x
Yoga with Adriene: https://bit.ly/3011FdH